Online marketing is an inseparable part of modern business and blog marketing is the core around which online marketing evolves. However, the most pertinent factor that comes into play is evaluating the efficacy of blog marketing. Blog marketing is a symbiotic process. Hence evaluating your own responses to the blogs released by others is as important as judging the blogs released by your company when it comes to gauging the efficiency of blog marketing.
Hence, the first and foremost thing that you need to do is to break your blog marketing plans in two parts – one should deal with your own blogs and the other should involve your responses to the blogs those you are receiving. Let us discuss the two aspects one by one.
Evaluation of your company/product plogs
The fundamentals of judging your company or product blogs is almost the same as those of judging the performance of the rest of your website save for a few differences.
Application of web analytical tools
Basically, blog is just a part of the website that you use. Hence, you can judge the performance of your blogs simply by using the same analytical tools and evaluating parameters you apply to evaluate your entire website.
For example, if you are using Google Analytics, on your entire website you can always use the same Analytics Dashboard of Google to measure the traffic of your blogs, number of pages viewed, number of people who have read your blogs etc. The basics of using the web analytical tools are same.
The only difference lies in using the correct code for the principal page of your blog site. Once that is done properly, you have the liberty of judging the performance by using whatever parameter you wish.
Listed below are some of the most common parameters by the virtue of which blogs are judged:
- Number of pages viewed: This should be monitored in order to get a fair idea whether the number of people who are visiting your blog site is on the rise or not.
- Exclusive Visitors: The objective of judging by this parameter is quite similar to that of the first one i.e. you will be able to get an idea of the number of visitors who regularly visit your company blog site. Tracking it for a particular period of time will tell you whether that number is declining or increasing.
- Duration of visitors’ stay in the blog site: This parameter enables you to get an idea about whether the readers are patiently going through the entire blogs or are quitting just after reading a part of the particles posted
- Sources of the visitors: This parameter will help you understand where the visitors of your blog site are coming from.
However, the only difference between evaluation of the website and the blog site is that, in case of website, you can evaluate the website as a whole. Here you need to evaluate your entire blog site as well as the individual blogs posted. Remember, your main objective while evaluating your blog site is to find out the blogs which are mostly read by the visitors. Once you can make that out, make sure that those particular types of blogs are posted more frequently discarding the ones which are less read.
Going beyond the elementary level
The process discussed above was just an elementary one to evaluate the quality of your blogs and the blog site as a whole. Now comes the most crucial part – figuring out the loyalty of your visitors. In other words, evaluating how dedicated your visitors are. Having said that, you need to know whether the visitors are going through all the blogs entirely or are just peeping in and out of your sites and whether they are leaving any comments for you and whether they are encouraging others to visit your blog site.
In order to do that you use the following parameters:
- Feed Subscribers: This is tracking the number of people who are subscribing to your blogs. If the number is high that will indicate that you are headed towards the right direction. FeedBurner is one of the most popular tools those are used to track the number. However, this method is not followed by the classical tools used for web analysis.
- Backlinks: Calculating the Backlinks is one of the most comprehensive ways of evaluating a blog site or blog articles. Articles which generate maximum number of backlinks will naturally have an upper hand over those with the least backlinks.
- Remarks: The remarks play one of the most vital roles when it comes to evaluation of the blogs. Remember, you need to thoroughly go through the remarks left by the visitors. This will give you a fair idea about what impression your blogs are leaving on the visitors. However, simply going through the remarks won’t help. You need to pay heed to the suggestions provided by the visitors for the betterment of your business.
- Click Throughs: While creating the blogs you must keep in mind that it is just the means to achieve you target – that is to attract maximum number of people to your company website. Hence, you need to count the total number of click throughs which will in respective web pages of your company. That way, you will be able to count the total number of visitors your blogs have managed to lure into your web pages. For instance, if you are a manufacturer of bottles for soft drinks well as beer and find that the posts regarding the soft drink bottles are attracting more traffic than those regarding bottles of beer, you must concentrate more on soft drink bottle posts rather than concentrating on those for beer bottles.
Evaluation of your own effort of responding to other blogs
Now, it’s time to evaluate your own performance when responding to the blogs left on your site. In other words, judging how good are you when it comes to maintaining relation with those who visit your blog sites and leave comments regularly. Apart from that the PR tracking will also help you to have an idea about how efficient are other blogs and websites in luring visitors into your website.
There are to features of this PR evaluation. On one hand the number of mentions you have received out of a particular press release of promotional drive. On the other hand, the number of click throughs you receive out of those mentions.
Let is point out the parameters to evaluate your PR:
- Click Throughs: The click through count will tell you how many visitors have logged into your web page, blog page or the links those you have created
- Conversion Rate: As I had mentioned earlier, writing a blog is not your ultimate goal. Your goal is to attract visitors with the help of those blogs to log into your company website. The more the visitors register with your website, the more is chance of increasing your customer base. Hence, simply increasing readability of your blogs will not help your business. The number of people who are finally registering in your website will make the actual difference. Hence, you should always calculate the number of people who are getting converted to be regular visitors of your website. If 100 people register, it’s likely that 50 % of them will become ultimate customers of your product.