Joomla! has prolonged enjoyed a repute of being one of a heading CMSs. Whether we are using a blog, a corporate website, a news site or a site of any other genre, Joomla! has a ability to fit your needs and energy your website.
However, of late, Joomla! has mislaid some of a marketplace share – particularly due to a arise of WordPress.
Sometime back, Joomla! expelled a chronicle 2.5 (which has already had a security refurbish by now). As with any product, Joomla! is also perplexing tough to strew a comparison picture of being a geek-friendly CMS and competition WP for a climax of being a end-user’s CMS. The latest release, chronicle 2.5, has taken many strides towards that strategy. In fact, it is a initial critical recover after chronicle 1.5 (the halt ones such as 1.7 were short-term releases).
In this article, we shall review Joomla! 2.5 with WordPress. But before going any further, let us locate a glance of what Joomla 2.5 has to offer.
Joomla! 2.5 – Under a Hood
- First up, Joomla! 2.5 now offers multi-database support, including Microsoft SQL server. This is a good further as until now, Joomla! was (by default) concordant usually with MySQL databases.
- Next, Joomla! 2.5 comes with programmed book updates, softened hunt and auto-complete functionality within a Article Editor.
- Arguably, a many important new underline is a Joomla! Platform chronicle 11.3 (with combined support for third celebration extensions, Offline Mode and CAPTCHA Services, and new additions to a j* class).
- Code Mirror has transposed TinyMCE as a default editor. You can still use a aged editor if we so desire, though.
- Categories underneath Article Manager now support liquid hierarchy and we can filter sub-categories as well.
- Better localization
- Support for Unicode Aliases for URLs – we can now have URLs in languages such as Hebrew and Arabic too.
- Enhanced confidence – over 240 critical vulnerabilities have been fixed.
- Eye-candy and improved coming – even a thumbnails seem to boyant when we float a rodent pointer over them!
It is also value observant that support and updates for comparison versions of Joomla! will no longer be available. In other words, unless we have a unequivocally good reason not to do so, you should ascent to Joomla 2.5
Joomla! 2.5 doesn’t unequivocally ‘revamp’ a admin back-end to a border one would design it to. Still, a admin area has a following critical menus:
- Site: You can tweak a site-wide settings here, such as creation tellurian changes, clearing a cache, and modifying a logged in user’s profile.
- Users: In this section, we can set adult user accounts, groups, conclude entrance levels and permissions and configure mass mail functionality.
- Menus: Menu Manager and compared features.
- Content: The Article Manager, Category Manager and Media Manager are here.
- Components: Miscellaneous stuff, such as banners, news feed, redirects, links, etc. are placed underneath Components.
- Extensions: Extensions (modules, plugins, templates and denunciation packs) can be found in this menu.
- Help: Obviously, this is where you’d spin for Help files, support and wiki pages.
As we can see, Joomla 2.5 comes with many critical additions to a set of features. But does it have what it takes to kick WordPress? Let’s take a demeanour by comparing it with WP.
(Note that, a concentration here is to weigh a opening of Joomla! 2.5 and WP underneath certain categories).
Joomla! 2.5 contra WordPress
Ease-of-Use and Mode-of-Operation
Joomla! supports a lot of facilities natively that WordPress does not – for example, sitemaps and mass emailing. While WP can certainly be extended by means of plugins, during a finish of a day, Joomla! comes with a some-more vast set of built in features.
However, WP is easier in terms of usage. For instance, take a demeanour during a Article Editor.
In Joomla! 2.5, a Article Editor flashes a lot of facilities – formatting tools, SEO tools, metadata tools, and what not!
WordPress, on a other hand, also has a absolute Editor. Yet, once we use both of them, we comprehend that WP comes with a some-more nimble options.
Bottomline: yet Joomla! has an equally overwhelming Editor, it does not kick WP in terms of speed of operation and usability.
Extendability and Addons
Both Joomla! and WordPress come with an glorious repository for extensions or plugins. However, WP does measure approach above Joomla! when it comes to themes/templates.
WordPress is being served by countless designers and developers and we will come opposite thousands of themes for WP, both giveaway and premium.
Whether you’re using a pursuit board, a news site or a photography portfolio, we can be certain that we have many processed themes watchful for you.
While Joomla! 2.5 is also corroborated by a decent collection of templates, a choices here are zero compared to what WP boasts of. Theme makers such as RocketTheme and YOOtheme have been formulating Joomla! templates for utterly some time, yet your options are singular – even with these dual thesis providers, WP is a categorical forte.
Bottomline: a list of reward template providers for Joomla! is tiny when compared with WP.
Overall Website Management
Website management, in itself, is one such area wherein one CMS can’t accurately outperform a other. It depends especially on a user, to be precise.
Anyway, Joomla! 2.5, as settled earlier, comes with many additional features. Naturally, a Settings and Configuration resource will be some-more installed than that of WordPress. You can tweak email settings, essay editor’s features, menus, layout, etc. All in all, Joomla! comes with a neat website government and settings’ section.
It is also value observant that Joomla! offers many facilities natively, that are differently accessible in other CMSs usually by means of extensions/plugins. For instance, to unequivocally benefit superb SEO facilities in WP, we will substantially need to use third-party plugins. Joomla!, on a other hand, has installed a SEO integrity natively in a CMS itself.
Along identical lines, Joomla! lets we setup email newsletters and mail accounts from within a CMS itself. Such functionality serves as a genuine blessing if we are using a vast site.
Bottomline: Joomla! 2.5 has several ‘useful’ facilities that WP doesn’t have, natively.
Support and Community
Both WordPress and Joomla! have a constant and active community, so we are in protected hands if we need help. Further more, both of them have an elaborate documentation, always prepared to assistance you.
Lastly, Joomla! also has a possess community magazine.
Bottomline: Joomla’s support and village support is during par, if not better, than WP.
Joomla! 2.5 has taken hulk strides and combined many new facilities to a arsenal. There is still plenty range for alleviation – a CMS can use a few good manageable templates and support for mobile inclination unequivocally needs a facelift. Still, chronicle 2.5 has finished a good pursuit in enhancing a user knowledge altogether and adding to Joomla!’s credit.
So, does Joomla! 2.5 unequivocally have what it takes to kick WordPress?
Well, Joomla! has been a coder’s CMS for utterly some time, yet of late it has been perplexing to be a end-user’s arms of choice. It now has many engaging facilities that make it mount detached from a throng of CMSs, yet all pronounced and done, it still does not kick WordPress in terms of palliate of use and user friendliness. Managing a website can be unwieldy charge during times, and WP does good to take that weight divided from a user, as most as possible. Joomla!, yet a unequivocally absolute CMS, only does not fit a check if we are deliberation it as a viable choice to WP in terms of palliate of use.