Create a Photo Gallery Under 10 Minutes Using Piwigo
Sharing images and photos on a internet has been around for utterly some time. Many people share photos and cinema regulating Picasa, Flickr, Photobucket, and other identical sites. However, a ideal approach to share your photos seems to be a photoblog. Further more, graphic/web designers, photographers and other artists need an online portfolio to arrangement their works.
It is during this connection a print blogging or gallery government CMS comes in handy. Of course, with some effort, even WordPress can be done to handle picture galleries, yet in sequence to scrupulously run an picture gallery, during times we need a specialized CMS. Piwigo is one such CMS for traffic with print galleries. In this article, we take a demeanour during Piwigo and weigh a pros and cons.
To start with, Piwigo is a giveaway and open source CMS that lets we simply conduct your photos. Features? Here they are:
- Upload Images: You can upload images regulating a web interface, FTP or even desktop applications such as Digikam.
- Organize Albums: Remember ‘Categories’ in WP? Piwigo does a same with Albums. Your albums can have total depth, and one picture can go to mixed albums, if we so desire.
- Tags: Tags in Piwigo work a same approach as they do in WP – we can tab your images regulating keywords.
- Themes and Extensions: Piwigo has a possess repository of themes and extensions – we shall take a closer demeanour during this after on.
- Privacy: You can set remoteness options, permissions and entrance levels for your photos.
- Localization: Piwigo has so distant been translated into 46 languages, and we can use mixed languages within a singular gallery.
- Other Noteworthy Features: Piwigo can emanate involuntary slideshows and cleverly occupy EXIF/IPTC metadata from images. You can browse photos in a map and setup many anti-spam measures. Piwigo also comes with SEO-friendly URLs.
Administration and Usability
The admin backend in Piwigo essentially consists of 6 menus: Photos, Albums, Users, Plugins, Tools and Configuration. While a initial 4 are self-explanatory, a engaging things lies in Tools and Configuration.
Under Tools, we have a Site Manager, History, Thumbnails, Maintenance, Updates and other identical sub-options. For instance, a Maintenance sub-menu lets we perform actions such as deletion of waif tags or opening of firmness checks.
Under Configuration, we can revise sitewide settings, menus, themes and denunciation packs.
Overall, a admin interface is utterly serviceable and nifty, with links to Help and Documentation handy. It does take some ‘getting used to’, yet all in all, it’s a zephyr to use.
- Pros: Extremely easy to use admin interface
- Cons: None as such
Themes and Extensions
Piwigo comes with a possess repository of themes and extensions. As distant as extensions are concerned, there are plugins accessible for roughly each vital task, such as a addition of HTML pages.
When it comes to themes, however, a story is different. While a repository does competition a decent series of themes (and is flourishing during a solid pace), Piwigo can unequivocally use some Premium Themes. Many Piwigo users, probably, tweak and build their possess themes – this fact shows a turn of impasse in a Piwigo community. Yet, during a finish of a day, if a CMS intends to attract finish users, it will need themes. An ideal resolution can be porting of WordPress photoblogging themes to Piwigo, many a same approach as Drupalizing has been doing it for Drupal.
- Pros: Extensions and plugins are top-notch
- Cons: Number (and quality) of processed themes needs to be better
Community, Support and Documentation
When it comes to support, Piwigo has a possess support wiki – both for finish users and developers. It also has an active forum, powered by FluxBB.
The forum, broadly speaking, has been divided into dual vital parts: Support and Project Building. Support deals with topics such as Troubleshooting, Feature Requests, etc. Project Building, on a other hand, is about Translations, Beta Testing, etc.
- Pros: Active forum with over 14,000 members, glorious support for developers
- Cons: User Documentation can be created in a somewhat reduction ‘technical’ manner
Updates and Additional Features
Perhaps a many distinguished underline about Piwigo is a refurbish frequency. A vital chronicle is expelled (almost) each 6 months with new facilities and improvements.
Another engaging partial is Piwigo.com – Piwigo’s blurb print gallery hosting solution. You can review it with WordPress.com – only that it offers print gallery hosting. Sadly, there are no giveaway plans, yet we can try it for giveaway for 30 days. Plus, Piwigo.com offers we facilities such as total storage space and tradition domain mapping – unequivocally value a try if you’re looking for a hassle-free resolution for hosting your print gallery!
- Pros: Good refurbish frequency, Piwigo.com is a accessible solution
- Cons: Piwigo.com should have a giveaway plan
Integration with WordPress
Okay, let’s be honest: it seems astray to design a CMS to offer formation with another, simply since we use a other one more.
But a fact remains, WordPress is used by countless users for opposite forms of websites, including print blogs, and Piwigo is wakeful of a same. It provides a plugin named PiwigoPress that places randomized images from your Piwigo gallery to your WP blog’s sidebar yet sadly, this plugin hasn’t been updated for utterly some time now. However, we also have PiwigoMedia that can insert media from a Piwigo site into WordPress.
So, is Piwigo value a effort?
If we are regulating a unchanging blog, and post photos or images spasmodic – no, we need not worry with it.
However, if we are a photographer or artist and wish to emanate an online portfolio of your work, or someone who is formulation to set adult a elementary print gallery, Piwigo is certainly value a try. You’ll unequivocally conclude a localization and other useful features, yet as we pronounced earlier, a themes can be better.
Have you, or are we currently, regulating Piwigo? Feel giveaway to share your thoughts with us in a comments!